Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Session 9


Session 9 came to my attention when I posed a question on facebook concerning people's favorite horror movies. This is the first I've watched of what was recommended to me and holy crap was it not what I was expecting. I'm hesitant to label Session 9 a horror film, but as much as I think this label doesn't do it justice I have to agree with it. Session 9 is heavy on suspense. VERY heavy. It is also big on setting, sound, cinematography, even the lightning is impressive. This is a movie made by a man who loves movies and that shines through spectacularly. This was not made to make money, it is not an art film, it's the telling of a story done masterfully. This is one of those rare movies where I struggle to find something to say about it not because there wasn't anything to say, but because so much of it is melded to it's medium, it's a film that needs to be a film. It wouldn't work as a book, or an album, a comic, or at any rate it wouldn't work as well. This is a film that needs to be a film. The sound is so expressive and goes perfectly with the visual elements, they alone are good enough it practically didn't need the story. But it got one. If you're like me you try to judge a movie while you watch it, it's a bad habit I know. But this movie defies any pre-conceived judgement, two or three times I thought I had a grasp on it but I was dead wrong. If you enjoy the art of cinema, watch this movie. It is not a slasher flick, it is horror in a very pure form, a little bit goes a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment